ANTEC Mumbai 2012
ANTEC Mumbai 2012 was the largest plastics technical conference ever held in India. More than 450 delegates attended 178 original, peer-reviewed technical presentations across seven parallel tracks over two days.
The real challenge was putting together a top class technical program with concurrent parallel sessions. As Technical Program Chair for this event, I was ably assisted by SPE India Board members Prem Manghani, Roop Devnani, Rajiv Sanghavi, Ramesh Parasuraman and Technical Program Co-Chair Dr. Dwarkanath Kale, as well as Barbara Spain from SPE Headquarters, who were part of the core team and whose dedicated and tireless efforts culminated in a highly successful event.
Society of Plastics Engineers India brought their renowned ANTEC® conference to Mumbai India this year. ANTEC® Mumbai took place on December 6-7, 2012 at the Renaissance Mumbai Convention Centre Hotel.
The conference also hosted a special plenary session with an address by guest of honor Shri Manohar Parrikar, Chief Minister of Goa. Two other plenary addresses focusing on the plastics industry in India were given by Dr. Ernesto Occhiello, executive vice president of technology and innovation for SABIC, and Dr. Ajit Sapre, group president of research and technology for Reliance Industries.
Mr. Griffing cited Vijay Boolani, ANTEC Mumbai 2012 conference chair, for providing the inspiration for the event and working tirelessly to make it a reality. “There was great support from the Indian and international plastics industry,” he added, “and participation in networking and plenary events by plastics company executives brought total attendance at ANTEC Mumbai to around 500.”
The association’s global president Jim Griffing noted that SPE will organize its first ANTEC for the Middle East at Dubai in January 2014 and plans its first technical conference in China for December 2013. In July 2013 at Lyon, France, SPE will hold its second EUROTEC® conference for the European plastics community.
ANTEC® Mumbai 2012, the latest initiative by the Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE) to make its plastics technical education programs available globally, concluded on December 7 as a resounding success and will be followed in December 2014 by a second ANTEC in India.
ANTEC® Mumbai was a broad-based, high-quality technical conference with over 175 original, peer-reviewed presentations on new developments in the following fields of plastics technology:
• New Technology Forum: Topics in this forum concentrated on the areas associated with carbonaceous Nano-materials, including graphenes and carbon nanotubes.
• Advances in Materials Forum: Topics included polymers in medical devices, bio-plastics, composites, aerospace, and automotive.
• Advances in Processing Forum: Topics included extrusion, engineering properties and structure, injection moulding, blow moulding, thermoforming, calendaring, and rotational moulding.
• Advances in Materials Performance Forum: Topics included design innovation, polymer modifiers and additives, polymer composites, failure analysis, polymer blends, and recycling.
• Advances in Machinery Forum: Topics included design of screws, barrels, mixing equipment, down-stream equipment, hydraulic, all-electric control systems, robotics and other plastics processing machines.
• Advances in Rheology, Modeling and Simulation: Topics included flow behavior of polymers, rheological models, analysis of modeling and processes, theoretical models and co-relations.